Friday, August 7, 2009

Game Plan

I am picking the second prompt. I've been thinking about this prompt and my topic of choice since the first week of class. I've been interested in and have been researching my topic off and on for the past 2-3 years on my own but just haven't had time to do any additional research recently so I'm also using this paper for my own personal gains. I'm a big fan of the whole "kill two birds with one stone" approach to things.

My specific topic is how to purchase mostly organic foods on a budget. I know that my life as a working class parent leaves me with a grocery budget similar to most of the people in my class per person so I think it will be something with a pretty wide appeal. Pesticides, hormones, and antibiotics in our food are things I feel causes lots of people concern. I think that researching the foods that are best to buy organic versus the ones we can worry about later is an interesting approach that can benefit most everyone from learning more about it. Its really interesting to find out about exactly what the various labels mean and how difficult it really is for farmers to actually get the right to label their products USDA organic. I had no idea that farmers who are USDA organic certified are not allowed to save their seeds to plant again the following year unless they are also certified by the government as a seed distributor.
Hormones are not allowed in raising hogs or poultry. Therefore, the claim "no hormones added" cannot be used on the labels of pork or poultry unless it is followed by a statement that says "Federal regulations prohibit the use of hormones." Source also struck me as kind of a wow thing to read about.

Most of the research I've done in the past has been online but for the purposes of this class, I've tried to find a lot of "hard copy" sources too since that's something I personally need work on.

I think I'll be using mostly a classification/division approach since I am talking about grocery shopping. Part of what I am going to write about will be the differences in pesticide levels of various foods (like peaches which have LOTS when grown standard and onions have very little) so I will also use compare/contrast.
As I stated earlier, most of my research completed has been online. I've found sites that explicitly are about "organic on a budget" which go right to the bone of what I'm interested in. I am also researching some of the other side to try and get an equal footing for my own head before I start writing.

402 words before the quote.

No comments:

Post a Comment