Thursday, July 23, 2009

Happy Anniversary to us. :)

Today is my 4th wedding anniversary. We went out to eat tonight... And had Sushi!
My family isn't known for ever trying anything different. The fact that I experimented and tried Sushi on a whim is really amazing considering my upbringing.
My Papaw was the kind of man who believed there were two vegetables worth eating: Corn and potatoes.
I married an adventurous eater, though. His philosophy on food is that as long as it doesn't eat him first, its okay to try at least once. He gets "creative" and puts corn in salmon patties (bad idea) or broccoli chunks in the "Hidden Veggie Skettie" I mentioned in my previous blog (worse idea that had me so upset I yelled and cried at him last night) and is willing to try any restaurant that looks neat and fairly inexpensive.
The first time Brian and I went out was to a restaurant in Morehead, the college town where we met. It was a Jerry's and it was one of those places where if your fork touches the table, you don't eat with it anymore because its sticky but the food was great! I was very sad when it burned down in 2006. I was craving pancakes but he was doing Atkins... and he didn't tell me. He sat there while I gorged on pancakes and while I remember his eating pancakes with me, he swears up and down that he ate an omlette and bacon.
Later that summer, he got me to go with him to his fraternity's favorite truck stop in Smokey Valley, Kentucky. The restaurant is called Smokey Valley because, well, they're not so creative in the hills. Smokey Valley had a grease fire in the spring of 04 and was closed down for a time but Brian did a geeky white boy dance when he realized they were open again and insisted on taking me up there to "lose my Smokey Valley Virginity". That place has the biggest burgers I've ever seen for $3.50. These burgers are seriously bigger than I can get my mouth around. I would take a patty of meat off the bun before attempting to eat it. Just writing about that place makes me hungry.
Anyway, so while we were living with Brian's mom in the summer of 2007, we decided to try this little hole in the wall Asian restaurant in Kingsport, TN called "The Fuji House" and Brian realized he loved Sushi. I wasn't so keen on it but I really liked the hibachi. We went back and every time I tried a different Sushi roll... until I started craving it. It got to the point that I wanted it every week but unfortunately, Sushi's not cheap! We both like a place in Bristol VA more than Fuji House...Osaka is so awesome.
We've tried a few places in Evansville since we've lived here, Nagasaki, Zuki...but our favorite by far is where we went tonight. Its up by Menards on Green River Rd...Tokyo Japan. Yum yum yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment